Catherine Hudon, M. D., Ph. D.
Health: Populations, Organization, Practices Axis
Centre de recherche du CHUS
The Canadian Institute for Research on Health Services found that 80% of costs are attributable to 10% of the population. Many of these patients with chronic disease are frequent users of services because of their complex needs and present poorer indicators of health and a high mortality rate. This represents a priority issue for the health system as well as for these patients
The V1SAGES Program, led by Dr. Hudon proposes to increase our understanding of the needs of these frequent users of services, and to develop, implement and evaluate innovative approaches in primary care, such as case management, to improve car for frequent users of health services through partnerships between helping professionals in health and social services and community organizations. This work presents great potential to improve the efficiency of the health care system.
- CIHR Embedded Clinician Researcher (2017-2021)
- Director of Research, Department of Family Medicine and Emergency Medicine, Université de Sherboorke (2014- ...)
- Lead on the demonstration project for the Quebec Patient-Centered Research Strategy Support Unit: Improving capacity for tracking and intervention in primary care for patients with complex health care needs and at risk of frequent use of health services (2016-2018)
- Multi-province realist synthesis: Case management in primary care to improve outcomes among frequent users of health care services with chronic conditions: a realist synthesis of what works, for whom and in what circumstances (CIHR 2017)
- Project: Frequent users of emergency services with chronic disease who are ambulatory care-sensitive: identifying complex at-risk clienteles to improve intervention (FRQS 2017-2020)
- V1SAGES 2 Project: Partners for an optimal organisation of the health care continuum for frequent users of health care and social services (CIHR and FRQS 2014-2018)
- V1SAGES Project: Implementation and pragmatic evaluation of an intervention on case management support for self-management, for vulnerable persons with chronic diseases in primary care (FRSQ 2012-2015)
- Award for contribution to research and publications, Quebec College of Family Physicians (2015)
- Award for best thesis in health sciences, Université de Sherbrooke (2012)
- Hudon C, Chouinard MC, Diadiou F, Bouliane D, Lambert M, Hudon E* (Student). (2016). The Chronic Disease Self-Management Program: The experience of frequent users of healthcare services and peerleaders. Family Practice. 33(2): 167-71.
- Hudon C, Chouinard MC, Lambert M, Dufour I* (Student), Kreig C* (Student). (2016). Effectiveness of case management interventions for frequent users of health care services: a scoping review. BMJ Open. 6(0): e012353.
- Hudon C, Sanche S, Haggerty J. (2016). Personal characteristics and Experience of Primary Care Predicting Frequent Use of Emergency Department: A Prospective Cohort Study. PloS One. 11(6): e0157489.
- Kreig C* (Student), Hudon C (Supervisor), Chouinard MC, Dufour I* (Student). (2016). Individual predictors of frequent emergency department use: a scoping review. BMC Health Services Research. 0(19): 594.
- Hudon C, Chouinard MC, Diadiou F, Lambert M, Bouliane D. (2015). Case management in primary care for people with chronic diseases, frequent users of health care services: A qualitative study of patient and family experience. Annals of Family Medicine. 13: 523-8.
- Bélanger A* (Student), Hudon C (Supervisor), Fortin M, Almirall J, Bouhali T, Chouinard MC. (2015). Validation of a French-language version of the health education impact Questionnaire (heiQ) among chronic disease patients seen in primary care: a cross-sectional study. Health and Quality of Life Outcomes. 13(1): 64.
- Hudon C, Lambert M, Almirall J. (2015). The Physician Enabling Skills Questionnaire: validation of a newly developed instrument in primary health care. Canadian Family Physician. 61: e517-23.
- Hudon C, Chouinard MC, Couture M, Brousselle A, Couture EM, Dubois MF, Fortin M, Freund T, Loignon C, Mireault J, Pluye P, Roberge P, Rodriguez C, Bouliane D (2014). Partners for the optimal organisation of the health care continuum for highusers of health and social services: Protocol of a developmental evaluation case study design. BMJ Open. 4: e006991.
- Hudon C, Chouinard MC, Bélanger A, Fortin M, Freund T, Almirall J, Cook M. (2014). The Self-Efficacy for Managing Chronic Disease Scale – French version: A validation study in primary care. European Journal for Person Centered Healthcare. 2(4): 533-38.
- Health services research
- Expertise in management and family medicine, in practice for 20 years
- Mixed methods research
- Participatory research with patients and organisations
- Pragmatic randomized control trials
- Development and validation of questionnaires
Opportunities for Collaboration
- Collaboration with teams interested in case management among different clienteles
- Collaboration for the in-depth study of support for self-management among frequent users of health care services or other complex clienteles
- Open to collaboration with any dynamic team interested in related topics.